Although Jell-O poke cake wasn’t my favorite dish, making it sent me back to another time. The time of cake mixes and gelatin, cans of cream of something-or-other, and onion soup mix. The time of vacuuming in heels and pearls. Which makes me think of casseroles. Which makes me think of this.
This is retro meets the 21st century. It’s everyone’s favorite broccoli rice casserole updated with quinoa. It’s warm and gooey and it doesn’t leave you feeling like you ate a brick. It’s a casserole without the guilt. What could be better?
Should you find yourself back in the (it pains me to say this) school swing of things, you can make it in the morning and bake this hearty side dish off at night.
To make a side for 4-6, you will need:
- 1 can cream of something-or-other soup (I used cream of mushroom, and would totally throw some real mushrooms in next time too)
- 1/3 C low or full-fat plain yogurt
- 2 T milk
- 1 1/4 C shredded cheese (I used about half havarti and half cheddar)
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- dash nutmeg
- 2 C steamed broccoli
- 1 1/2 C cooked quinoa (cook according to package directions, plan on starting with 3/4 C raw)
- 1/4 C grated Parmesan cheese