I turned 29 this weekend, dear readers. Twenty. Nine.
The birthday before THE birthday.
I was hanging out with one of the coolest twenty-somethings I know recently, someone on the other side of this decade, and she let me know that according to this book, I’ve done a bang-up job with these formative years. According to Kelly Williams Brown, I’m not doing too bad, either.
And so I’m not going to make a list of thirty things I’m going to do before I’m thirty. I would love to read yours. But I can’t make mine. It feels too final. Like thirty is it. And that’s just not an attitude I can take on right now. I had a hard enough time saying “I’m twenty-nine,” when my in-laws took me out to lunch.
So here, dear readers, are twenty-nine things I am incredibly thankful for, all of which have happened over my birthday week (everyone should celebrate their birthday all week long). Well, plus a bonus 30th, because I really need to get used to saying that number.
- Pedis with CV(D)
- Surprise cupcakes x 4 (including that one pictured above, which CV(D) baked from A Glass of Milk!)
- Being sung to by an awesome 12 year old at the top of her lungs
- My new favorite smoothie (banana, yogurt, OJ, frozen raspberries, and frozen pineapple, spinach optional)
- Ice cream with my ex
- Getting lost while power-walking through the Georgetown campus. It’s beautiful at night.
- My new Lilly planner, and using it to mark a very important date next August
- A day at home with nothing to do but catch up on Project Life
- Re-watching Glee all the way through (nothing beats Season 1)
- Happy hour and dinner with coworkers who are some of my best friends here
- Lunch at a favorite neighborhood spot
- Lunch at another favorite neighborhood spot
- Trying new foods at both, and loving them (eggplant bolognese, and Muskeget salad, respectively)
- My new Gap dress that I would wear all day, every day, if I could
- Finding a new favorite local cupcake place (thanks Ali)
- Seeing an envelope from Queen Cupcake addressed to my old last name
- New scrapbooking goodies from Queen Cupcake
- Summer Shandy
- Free Starbucks (get the app, dear readers, and get free Starbucks on your birthday, too)
- Talking to SCL on the phone
- Hearing Hilton Head referred to as “a civilized beach” by someone I greatly admire (I have to get there some day)
- Dreaming about my next trip to New York
- Going to Dave Matthews
- Getting caught in the rain (it always makes for a good story)
- Cool Ranch Doritos
- Road trips that get you somewhere quicker than you thought
- Being at the beach
- Seeing friends I’ve known my whole life
- Turning another year older