I always forget that I love s’mores. While bloggers everywhere drown in salted caramel brown butter Nutella bars*, it’s easy to let these childhood classics go unnoticed. And what’s worse, unbaked.
Hello, s’mores cookie bars. You are so crunchy and delightful.
Dear readers, I don’t like to share food with you if I don’t think it’s the best thing I’ve ever eaten. There is so much more mediocre cooking out there, and I pray this is a place where you can find recipes a couple steps above that. So when I ate my first s’mores cookie bar, I truly questioned the base graham cracker layer. Was the cookie on cookie action too strange? Could I just break up some graham crackers and add them to the cookies?
But no. They wouldn’t be the same. The contrast of the chewy cookie and the crunchy bottom layer is part of what makes these such winners.
To make a cookie sheet of s’mores cookie bars, you will need:
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 11 oz. dark chocolate chunks
- 1 1/4 cup mini marshmallows, divided
- 3 regular (or 2 large) sized Hershey bars, broken into pieces
- 2 sleeves (boxes usually come with 3) graham crackers, broken into squares
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugars with an electric mixer until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Incorporate vanilla then add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture. Fold in dark chocolate chunks and 1 cup of marshmallows.
- Lay out graham crackers on a large rimmed baking sheet leaving no gaps between them. Using an ice cream scoop, place balls of cookie dough on the graham crackers. Press out the dough to spread it out, but don’t worry about gaps as the dough will spread and fill the gaps in the oven.
- Bake for 5 minutes then press Hershey pieces and 1/4 cup marshmallows on top. Bake for 5-7 more minutes.
- Cool bars in pan. Cut through the cookie layer into squares, making sure to cut where the graham crackers meet. Store at room temperature in an air-tight container.