In our family we grew up eating Chicken McMom and Chicken McBarney. These were affectionately named for family members and meant to poke fun atMcDonalds McEverythings. So it’s only fair that after getting this recipe from my Aunt Helen, it takes on her moniker.
And now I have to revoke my claim that all I’m looking for in life is a good slow cooker recipe without cream of mushroom because this is a good slow cooker recipe with cream of mushroom. It’s head and shoulders above the endless others I’ve tried.
To make Chicken McHelen, you will need:
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 package Good Seasons Italian dressing mix
- 1/2 stick (4T) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cans golden mushroom soup (which I couldn’t find, so just used regular cream of mushroom)
- 1, 8 oz. package cream cheese with chives
Melt butter in a large skillet. Add dressing mix and stir to coat. Add white wine and deglaze the pan, scraping up brown bits. Stir in soup and cream cheese. Place chicken in slow cooker. Add sauce on top, and cook on low, 6-8 hours.